Pages

Tuesday 26 January 2016

doing the introductions

Note: For explanations for relationship expressions: formal, semiformal and informal, see 
      the post ‘Relationships’.

doing the introductions

You introduce yourself or get introduced.

I. You get introduced:

(i) introduction by others¬formal
Here someone introduces one to another:

A. the introduction
     Mr Kamath (with hand gestures): (This is) Mr Kumaran, GM, Marketing, SAMSUNG
                                                           (This is) Ms Kavitha, HR, WIPRO  
B. recognizing it (four ways)
     1. Mr Kumaran, ‘How d’you do?’
         Ms Kavitha,   ‘How d’you do?’


      note: 
       1. Don’t say, ‘I’m fine, thank you.’
               ‘how d’you do?’ is also the response as a matter of convention.
                As they speak, they can nod and/or smile politely.
       2. They can just nod their heads without speaking.
       3. They can just smile politely without speaking.
       4. They can, without speaking, just shake hands or touch the hands without full contact

           or firm shakes are also possible.        

(ii) introduction by others¬semi-formal
A. the introduction
     Mr Kamath (with hand gestures): (This is) Mr Kumaran, GM, Marketing, SAMSUNG
                                                           (This is) Ms Kavitha, HR, WIPRO  
B. recgonizing it (three ways)
     Mr Kamath, ‘Glad to meet you.’
     Ms Kavitha, ‘Glad to meet you, too’/ ‘So am I.’
or
     ‘Please to meet you.’
     ‘Please to meet you, too.’/ ‘So am I.’
or
     ‘Nice meeting you.’/ ‘Nice to meet you.’
     ‘Nice meeting you, too.’ / ‘Nice to meet you, too.’ / ‘So am I.’


(iii) introduction by others¬informal
A. the introduction
     Mr Kamath (with hand gestures): (This is) Mr Kumaran, GM, Marketing, SAMSUNG
                                                           (This is) Ms Kavitha, HR, WIPRO  
B. recgonizing it (three ways)
     Mr Kamath, ‘Hello!’/ ‘Hi!’
     Ms Kavitha, ‘Hello!’/ ‘Hi!’
     Both the persons smile at each other and shake hands. Firm handshakes are also possible.

note: There are two variant spellings of ‘hello’: ‘Hallo’/ ‘Hullo’

 II. You introduce yourself (when you feel it’s desirable or necessary)

(i) introduction by yourself¬formal
     ‘I’m Krishnan, R., ACP, Police Department, Hyderabad.’
     ‘I’m Sukumaran, R., Head, Microbiology Department, GH, Chennai.’
     Both smile at each other and shake hands.

(ii) introduction by yourself¬semi-formal
      ‘(I’m) Krishnan.’
      ‘(I’m) Sukumaran.’
or
       ‘I’m Krishnan, Ramanathan Krishnan.’
       ‘I’m Sukumaran, Raghavan Sukumaran.’
or
       ‘I don’t think we’ve met. My name is Krishnan.’
       ‘I’m Sukumaran.’
       Both smile at each other and shake hands.

Note: Of course, you can say, ‘My name is...’ instead of ‘I’m...’

(iii) introduction by yourself¬informal
      ‘Krishnan.’
      ‘Sukumaran.’
      Both smile at each other and shake hands.
___________________________________________________________________________
  

No comments:

Post a Comment